- 2.2 lb small Zucchini (1 kg)
- 10 oz ground meat (beef or lamb)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. all spice
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 – 2 tbsp. fried or toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 4 cups Plain Yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. corn starch
- 3 tbsp. cold water (for dissolving the corn starch)
- Prepare the Filling: Brown the meat, add the chopped onions and spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, black pepper) and salt and cook on medium heat until the meat and onions are done. Allow it to cool down then add the fried or toasted pine nuts (optional).
- Prepare the Zucchini: Hollow the zucchinis with a vegetable corer and place in a bowl full of water. Drain well and stuff with the prepared filling (3/4 full). Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a saucepan and shallow fry the zucchinis.
In the same saucepan, cover the zucchinis with water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the zucchinis are 3/4 done.
- Cook the Yoghurt: Dissolve the corn starch in cold water. In a saucepan, combine the yoghurt with the dissolved corn starch. Bring to a boil stirring constantly (do not stop stirring until it boils). Add the yoghurt to the zucchinis, season with salt and simmer (uncovered) until the zucchinis are tender.
- Re-season the yoghurt sauce with salt and serve with plain or vermicelli rice.
By Hala’s Kitchen